Preparing for the service

Frequently asked questions

Q. Where can I get married?

A. If one or other of you live in Thame you are entitled to be married in your Parish church. If you don't live in Thame but your family lives here or has a history within the area, you may also be able to have your service at St Mary's.

Other special arrangements are also available under certain circumstances, for example if one of you is from overseas. Please contact the church office for more details and to talk about possible dates.
wed candle

Q. What are the legal requirements?

A. The normal preliminary to getting married in the Church in England is by banns. Banns are an announcement of your intention to marry and a chance for anyone to put forward a reason why the marriage may not lawfully take place.

Banns need to be read in the parish where each of you lives as well as at the church in which you are to be married if that is another parish. There are circumstances where some form of licence, is more appropriate. Again contact the church office to know more.

Q. What if one of us is divorced?

A. There are special guidelines on church marriage if you have been divorced. The Church of England teaches that marriage is for life. We also recognize that, sadly, some marriages do fail and, if this should happen, we seek to be available for all involved. We accept that in some circumstances, a divorced person may marry again in church during the lifetime of a former spouse. Please contact the church office to make an appointment with the Vicar before setting a date.


Q. We are already married; do you have any service of blessing?

A. Yes we often bless the marriages of those who have married abroad and want something at home for family and friends to be part of. We can also bless the marriage of people who have been married in a Registry Office and feel that something was missing and would like God to bless their new life together.

People who have been married 20, 25, 30 or more years also like to mark the event with a renewal of vows and have approached us to hold a special service in Church. In all of these cases we are more than happy to help people seek God's involvement in their married life. Just contact the church office and we will be able to offer you some advice on how to proceed.

Q. How much will it cost?

A. Please see the leaflet here.

More information is available on getting married in church is available at